Thursday, September 07, 2006

Preserving and Baking


Every year I try to make a batch of Seville Orange Marmalade. I just think the seville oranges make it superior to all others. I use the River Cafe Green book for it, easy and delicious. They recommend soaking the oranges for up to 48 hours to soften the skins and I really think it helps.

When I went to have some a few days later, I realised I'd given it all away. Never mind, just made some more.



While up in the supermarket getting the sugar I discovered the friand tin. How could I resist. Did you know there's 18 grams of butter per friand. I think that's why they taste so good. I quartered a few strawberries onto them in a futile effort to make them seem more benign on the fat stakes. And I used ground hazelnuts rather than almonds, because I love hazelnuts and berries together.

No comments: